As per this new industry analysis by Persistence Market Research, the Global Pessary Market was valued at US$ 304.1 million in 2021 and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 8.1% between 2022 and 2032. Cases of pelvic floor descent increase with age and after multiple pregnancies. This is mainly because a majority of women with prolapse do not seek medical care at an early stage.
For instance, in an Oxford family planning study, it was reported that the risk of POP increased by 4 times after the first vaginal delivery, 8 times after the second delivery, and 9 times after the third delivery as compared to nulliparous women. This indicates that the risk of POP is high after repeated vaginal childbirths. This, in turn, can impact the pessary market in a positive manner. The prevalence of urinary incontinence is high in women and older patients, which negatively impacts their quality of life. This is also a key driver for the growth of this market.
To meet the growing demand for pessaries, key market players are focusing on novel product development with enhanced efficacy that could fit as per the needs of patients.
- In 2021, CooperSurgical introduced the Milex Pessary Fitting Kit specially designed for doctors for determining the exact size and type of pessary required for a patient as per the condition.
Market Growth Factors:
- Increasing Prevalence of Pelvic Floor Disorders:
- The demand for pessaries is often linked to the prevalence of pelvic floor disorders, such as pelvic organ prolapse. As the population ages, there may be a higher incidence of these conditions, contributing to the growth of the pessary market.
- Advancements in Pessary Design and Materials:
- Technological advancements and innovations in the design and materials of pessaries can drive market growth. New materials that enhance comfort, durability, and efficacy may attract both patients and healthcare providers.
- Growing Awareness and Education:
- Increased awareness among healthcare professionals and patients about pelvic floor disorders and the available treatment options, including pessaries, can contribute to market growth.
- Rising Healthcare Expenditure:
- Generally, an increase in healthcare spending within a region or globally can positively impact the market for medical devices, including pessaries. This is because individuals may have better access to healthcare services and devices.
- Aging Population:
- The aging demographic often experiences an increased incidence of pelvic floor disorders. As the global population ages, there may be a corresponding rise in the demand for pessaries as a non-surgical treatment option.
- Preference for Non-Surgical Treatment:
- Some patients may prefer non-surgical interventions for pelvic floor disorders. Pessaries, being a non-invasive option, may gain popularity in such cases, contributing to market growth.
- Regulatory Environment:
- Favorable regulatory environments and approvals for new pessary products can stimulate market growth. Stringent regulations and product approvals ensure the safety and efficacy of these devices.
- Patient Comfort and Compliance:
- Improvements in the design of pessaries to enhance patient comfort and compliance can be a significant factor in market growth. Patient satisfaction often influences the adoption of medical devices.
Key Takeaways from Market Study
- Ring pessaries are the leading segment based on product and held 20.5% market value share in 2021 owing to their ease of use in terms of device insertion and removal. It can also be used in complex stages of pelvic floor prolapse.
- The pelvic organ prolapse segment, based on indication, is the leader in terms of usage of pessaries with a market value share of around 66.8% in 2021 owing to the increasing elderly population and lifestyle-related diseases that cause hormonal imbalances in women.
- By end user, hospitals are leading in the global market and are expected to progress at a CAGR of 8.2% during the forecasted years.
- North America is the leading regional market with a value share of 36.9% in 2021 owing to the high prevalence of urinary inconsistence and pelvic organ prolapse conditions in the region.
Ask for Report Customization https://www.persistencemarketresearch.com/request-customization/33288
“Rising prevalence of pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence among the elderly population and increase in the awareness of pessary usage for supporting the prolapsed organ are set to propel market growth,” according to an analyst of Persistence Market Research.
- Patient Compliance and Comfort Issues:
- Some patients may find pessaries uncomfortable, leading to non-compliance with the treatment. Discomfort, pain, or difficulty in insertion and removal can hinder the acceptance and sustained use of pessaries.
- Limited Awareness and Education:
- Lack of awareness among both healthcare providers and patients about pelvic floor disorders and the available treatment options, including pessaries, can be a significant restraint. Education and awareness campaigns are essential to ensure that pessaries are considered as a viable option in appropriate cases.
- Stigma and Reluctance to Discuss Pelvic Floor Disorders:
- Stigma associated with pelvic floor disorders and reluctance to discuss such intimate issues can delay diagnosis and treatment. This, in turn, affects the adoption of pessaries as a treatment option.
- Preference for Surgical Interventions:
- Some patients and healthcare providers may prefer surgical interventions over non-surgical options like pessaries. This preference can be influenced by perceptions of the effectiveness and permanence of surgical procedures.
- Device-related Issues:
- Pessaries come in various shapes and sizes, and finding the right fit for each patient can be challenging. In some cases, the wrong choice of pessary or improper fitting may lead to discomfort, pain, or complications, impacting the market acceptance.
- Risk of Infection and Complications:
- Prolonged use of pessaries may be associated with an increased risk of infections or other complications. Healthcare providers need to monitor patients using pessaries to ensure early detection and management of any issues.
- Limited Reimbursement Policies:
- In some healthcare systems, reimbursement policies for non-surgical treatments like pessaries may be limited. This can affect patient access and the willingness of healthcare providers to recommend these devices.
- Age and Population Demographics:
- The aging population is often a driver for the pessary market, but it can also be a restraint. Older individuals may have additional health issues or be less receptive to non-invasive treatments, impacting the market growth in this demographic.
- Competing Treatment Modalities:
- Surgical interventions, medications, and other treatment modalities for pelvic floor disorders may compete with pessaries. The perceived effectiveness and ease of these alternatives could influence patient and physician preferences.
- Regulatory Challenges:
- Stringent regulatory requirements and the need for approvals can pose challenges for the introduction of new pessary products into the market. This can slow down innovation and product development.
The market for pessaries is fragmented and there are several local, emerging, and established players within the market sphere. Leading market players have initiated promotional activities to introduce the design and engineering of novel pessaries with enhanced efficacy, shapes, and sizes customized as per the anatomy of patients.
- In June 2021, a Canadian-based medical technology company and Femtherapeutics Inc. developed a customizable pessary with an AI-driven platform and 3D printing to improve treatment outcomes for pelvic organ prolapse.
- Dr. Arabin GmbH & Co. launched the Arabin cerclage pessary made up of a foldable flexible silicon material used as a conservative treatment for pregnant women having the risk of preterm birth, prolapse, and incontinence.
- Ring Pessaries
- Lever Pessaries
- Incontinence Rings
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Urinary Incontinences
By End User:
- Ambulatory Surgical Centres
- Speciality Clinics
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East and Africa (MEA)
What Does the Report Cover?
Persistence Market Research offers a unique perspective and actionable insights on the pessary market in its latest study, presenting a historical demand assessment of 2017 to 2021 and projections for 2022 to 2032.
The research study is based on the product (ring pessaries, lever pessaries, incontinence rings, Marland, Gellhorn, Gehrung, donuts, cubes), indication (pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinences), and end user (hospitals, specialty clinics, ambulatory surgical centers), across seven key regions of the world.
Persistence Market Research’s Expertise in Life Sciences and Transformational Health
Our expert team of industry analysts comprising management graduates, medical professionals, engineers, and project managers provides insights on emerging therapy areas, diagnostic tools, medical devices and components, reimbursement and market access, biotechnology, and life science research products and services to equip decision-makers with sound inputs and strategic recommendations.
Persistence Market Research is a U.S. based full-service market intelligence firm specializing in syndicated research, custom research, and consulting services. Persistence Market Research boasts market research expertise across the Healthcare, Chemicals and Materials, Technology and Media, Energy and Mining, Food and Beverages, Semiconductor and Electronics, Consumer Goods, and Shipping and Transportation industries. The company draws from its multi-disciplinary capabilities and high-pedigree team of analysts to share data that precisely corresponds to clients’ business needs.
Persistence Market Research
Address – 305 Broadway, 7th Floor, New York City,
NY 10007, United States
Sales – email@example.com
Website – https://www.persistencemarketresearch.com